Search This Blog

March 31, 2011

JoAnn's and Michaels had a fight.

At least that's what my dining room looks like right now.  Material, rhinestones, ruffles, gems and buttons.  OH my!  My latest craft interest is making aprons.  I was getting tired of always wearing aprons that didn't quite fit.  I'm a curvy girl, with kind of large ta-ta's and most of the really cute aprons you find for sale, look like they were made for, four and a half foot, non-eaters.  They would come down to the middle of my thighs and only cover about a third of my shirt.  I don't know about y'all, but I'm a messy cooker and an even messier baker.  So, I set out to make customized aprons for myself and my lovelies. 

Normally this table is just a catch-all for, well all things.  The Mister is just glad it's being used productively, even if it means it looks like this.  BTW, that's the youngers "professional" apron.


You see, the older follows in my footsteps.  She also has a curvy figure with large ta-ta's, plus she's kinda short, but my younger, she's a bean pole, that towers over her sister and I, and she's blessed to have a super metabolism that allows her to eat as many cupcakes as she can bake, without gaining a pound.  Something I've never been blessed with.  Grumble, grumble, grumble, but I'm not bitter.

See what I mean.  They make aprons all one size.  We are clearly all not the same size, here.
You may have seen the youngers apron, or startings of in an earlier post.  This was the first apron, or any piece of clothing that I've attempted to sew together.  And boy, could you tell.

That's not master seamstress, stiching there.
But, boy you sure couldn't tell from a distance.  Besides, she could wear a burlap sack and make it look good.
Here's a bad picture of the lovelies aprons.  The older's is, of course the hot pink and zebra one.


But then, I found this stuff.  It's friggen amazing!  You can be a total dumbass when it comes to sewing, and it won't matter.  It's hem tape.  Ya, a lot of you already knew about it, but I didn't.  I never go to the sewing part of the craft store, there's never been a need, but oh baby, is this stuff a total life saver.  It makes the aprons look so much neater and cleaner, a little stiffer, but that I imagine will loosen up, the more they are used, at least I hope they will.  The ones with the hem tape on it, feel a lot sturdier than the first sewed one I did.  I'm not terrified to tie the straps on the olders, like I am the youngers.  It's really amazing stuff, and it makes me look like I know what I'm doing.  Double plus!

Hem tape.  you just fold the fabric over it and iron.  Genius!
So now there's no stopping me.  I've not only made the three of us aprons, still working on a second one for the younger, but I've told all my girlfriends to buy me some material, so that I can make them all one. 

What have I done?
It's a good thing I don't have many girlfriends that cook, or that could be seriously overwhelming.

I'm also hoping that by making a soap themed apron for my sweet soapmaking partner, that it will spark an interest in blowing the cobwebs off our supplies and get production underway again.  Slick idea, right?  Yeah, I thought so too.

My apron.  I know that cuz it says my name.  This is the cleanest it will ever be again.
Now I just need to learn to use patterns. 
Marisa

0 People said what???:

Post a Comment

For every comment you leave, a zombie bunny turns back into a real bunny.