Search This Blog

September 12, 2010

I love....

     Fall.  Fall reminds me of cozy nights.  Sitting on the couch in snugly socks and a fluffy blanket, curled up watching the candle flames dance across the walls and ceiling.  Waking up almost every morning to find that you can't even see your car fifteen feet away because of the fog.  Fog so thick that it makes your clothes damp, hair flat and your makeup instantly slides off your face.  Face powder, plus thick fog, equals thin layer of mud on your face, but it's a small price to pay for the comfortable, yet slightly creepy feeling that foggy mornings at dawn can give you.  I can't forget about the leaves.  OH, the leaves.  Orange, red, and yellow making every hillside look like a tye-dyed masterpiece.

     Fall also has my absolute favorite holiday.  Halloween.  Oh how I loooooooooooooooove Halloween.  I sang that, of course.

     Going to haunted houses, carving pumpkins, candy corn, oh my!  Dressing up, taking the kids out, not mine of course, they are too old for trick-or-treating.  Then, coming home, making hot cocoa while I  here and stare at my untouched candy bowl, I left for neighborhood children, that might stop by.  Being the child at heart that I am, I still dress up, faithfully, every year.  Usually a witch, or gypsy, it's easy, since I own a lot of clothes that fit the part.  My younger always dresses up as well, when we take the kids out.  Always a surprise as to what she's going to be, but always fun and colorful.

     Then, oh then.  Thanksgiving.  My love for Thanksgiving runs deep into my childhood.  Our large family all congregating at Grams and Gramps for love, togetherness and FOOD.  Oh my stars the food.  Grams, always made a perfect turkey, us kids always putting black olives on our fingertips, walking around bending our fingers like were monster from another planet.  Everybody chatting, catching up on the news since the last get together, anxiously awaiting the mouthwatering feast that is slowly simmering in the kitchens.  Yes, Gram's had two kitchens, one upstairs and one downstairs.  Hey, when you have 7 kids and you have to feed them all, you're gonna need an extra kitchen.  Besides the food and family, my favorite part of Thanksgiving was when we would all sit around and tell what we are most thankful for.  Something I still like to do with my own little family on our Thanksgivings.  Sometimes, though, I wish I was still young and congregating at the Grandparents house with the whole family.  Even with the arguments and fights that would almost always break out, you can't have that many siblings under one roof, without someones feathers getting ruffled.  Ha, I remember one year, one of my uncles dipped his finger in the cool whip and dabbed the tip of my aunts nose, slightly smearing her makeup.  She then proceeded to take the entire container and slam it into his face, leaving him with a small cut on the bridge of his nose and a chip on his shoulder towards his sister-in-law for months and months. 

  Corn mazes, haunted houses, big fat turkeys with all the dressings, beautiful foliage, fog, hot cocoa, family and even sibling fights...What more could you want out of a season.

Until next time......

0 People said what???:

Post a Comment

For every comment you leave, a zombie bunny turns back into a real bunny.