Search This Blog

September 9, 2010

Childhoodlum!

Since I'm new to this blogging thing, I wasn't quite sure what I was going to write about on a day to day basis.  Then, like a miracle from afar, my dear, dear Auntie posted a ton of picture of us kids as kids.  

Now, y'all don't know this, but I come from a fairly LARGE family.  On my mothers side, we have my Grandpa, her dad, who is the youngest of 11.  My maternal Grandmother was the oldest of only 4, but her Mother was in the middle of 9.  My Grandparents had my wonderful Mommy, then 6 more kids.  Not much to do back before cable TV and internet, of course.  Now here's where my generation come in, I am the oldest of my generation, thanks to Mom getting knocked up at 17, again, no cable or internet back then and I'm sure she was just trying to keep warm on those cold Phoenix, January nights... I have 9 siblings.   They consist of; 2 sisters and 1 brother by Mom, 3 sisters and 1 brother by Dad, and 2 step-brothers from step-dad that married mom, even though she already had 4 of the devil's children and a Granddaughter from the oldest of the spawn, yeah, that would be ME.  Then if you go down the list there is a grand total of 25 of us.  My 2 sisters, by Mom and I have done a good job starting the population of the next generation with 6 kids including my 2, my younger sister has 2 girls and my baby sister has 2 boys.  You won't hear me talk to much about my other 4 sibs from my Father, because well, I don't know them that well and I have actually never met any of them face to face.  My Father and I met once when I was 18, and haven't seen each other since, but that's another days blog.

Now that you know a quickified version of my family tree, let me tell ya about some of the leaves.  

When I was a kid we would have these crazy wild camping trips.  Now when  most  families go on camping trips it's a weekend, even a long weekend trip, not here.  Vacation days were cashed in, relatives from near and far would gather at My Great Uncle John's house, *G-pa's older brother, down near Aberdeen for at least a week of fun in the sun, complete with racing, rope swings, explosions and a visit from Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy.  The Fourth of July would be the grand event that would gather the masses, that would play host to the families of not only G-pa's siblings but Grams siblings too, so were talking roughly 100-150 camping for sometimes a week at a time.  The property itself was somewhere between 20 and 500 acres, hey what do you want, I was a kid, it was all huge, trees everywhere, a giant barn, complete with rope swing and pile of hay and my uncle had tons of heavy equipment that made for a wonderland of metal for us youngen's to climb on, over and under.  Now, let me just warn you here, this blog will now and then talk about the unsafe behavior of young, stupid, daredevil type kids that were raised by older, more mature, preoccupied, daredevil type adults and everyone had a 3-wheeler or a dirt bike or a 3-wheeler and a dirt bike.  It was heaven for heathens well behaved children.

We liked to get dirty, our parents would clean us up, and then we'd just go get dirty all over again. Rinse.  Repeat.


I'd have to say, I had a pretty happy childhood.  Don't get me wrong, it had it's bumps, but I wouldn't trade it for anyone else'.


Til tomorrow.
Marisa


0 People said what???:

Post a Comment

For every comment you leave, a zombie bunny turns back into a real bunny.